Enough with the airplanes! Let’s build a helicopter! For my first one, I chose a classic airframe, the H-34. There were many differetn versions of this bird and subsequently there are as many scale models. I chose the Trumpeter UH-34D Seahorse because I liked the orange colour scheme on the box. When I started to build it though, I chose instead the japanese version (also included). I prefered the Trumpeter kit instead of the one from Italeri because of the included engine, folding tail and full internal cabin.
Before I started to build it, I did some research and I realized that Japan used the SH-34J Anti-Submarine version. The kit decals are correct, but the kit is missing several antennas AND the dipping sonar of the real helicopter.
I decided to go ahead anyway and build the missing details from scratch. The documentation was practically non-existent and I had to rely on some photos of a discontinnued 3D-printed set and some photos of the similar system used on the HO3S-3 (the anti-sub version of the H-19). In any case, not much will be visible in the end, so I think it will be OK.
Since the kit provides the option for a folded tail, I though to also fold the main rotor blades. It looks more interesting AND it saves a lot of self space! To do that, I used a conversion set (3D-printed rotor hinges and PE blade holders) from Scalewarship. It fits the Trumpeter kit even though it was made for the Westaland Wessex (which after all, is derived from the H-34).
The cockpit detail is sufficient. The kit even includes PE seatbelts. I only had to add the cyclic control sticks at the left of each seat. I also added some cables and pipes in the engine, some cables on the winch and the missing antennas (doppler radar etc).
The work in progress
The finished model
|Trumpeter “UH-34D Seahorse”
|Scalewarship “Westland Wessex HU5 Rotor fold”